Sometimes your busy schedule makes attending a scheduled live class or webinar impossible, and we understand that. We are pleased to offer our members the option to earn CE in a self-study format from these reputable companies at special Big I New York member pricing!
A: As a licensee you must complete 15 credits of Continuing Education (CE) during each two year licensing period. All courses must be completed through a Provider Organization (Provider) approved by the New York State Department of Financial Services.
The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) has formally adopted a rule imposing new continuing education course requirements on insurance producers and adjusters. If your license is due to renew on or after next April 1, you must take the required coursework in order to renew.
The regulation will take effect on Nov. 12 and applies to licenses renewing on and after April 1, 2022. An agent or broker will be unable to renew a license unless their 15 hours of continuing education include:
- At least one hour of courses on the provisions of New York insurance law and regulations
- At least one hour of courses on ethics and professionalism
- At least one hour of courses on "implicit and explicit bias; equal access to justice; serving a diverse population; diversity and inclusion initiatives in the insurance industry; and sensitivity to cultural and other differences when interacting with clients, potential clients, or other members of the public."
- For all property-casualty licensed producers, at least one hour of courses on the sale of flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- For producers who sell coverage through the NFIP, at least three hours of enhanced flood insurance instruction
Courses are offered in either the classroom/speech/seminar method of instruction (indicated by an NYCR approval number) or the self-study (textbook or internet) method of instruction (indicated by an NYCS approval number).
If you are a sublicensee on a corporate license, the CE requirement deadline for all types of agent and broker licenses is June 30 of odd-numbered years.